Sunday 4 September 2016

Books that have stayed with me Tag!

Hello all!

I was tagged on Facebook in this Book Tag. I decided to share it on my blog with a little more detail in why it stayed with me. 
Here's the challenge: List 10 books in your status that have stayed with you in some way.  Don't take more than a few minutes. They do not have to be the 'right' books or great works of literature, just ones that have affected you in some way.  Tag 10 friends including me so I can see your list.

1. Harry Potter series- J.K Rowling


I started reading these books when I was 10! My librarian (yes I was friends with the school librarian) recommended I read it because it was about to become really popular. I guess she was right! The Harry Potter series stuck with me because it was a magical place that I would dream of being a part of, especially as a young girl. Plus J.K Rowling's writing style is perfection. 


2. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee


I read this book for the first time at high school when I was about 15. I really stuck with me because it was the first book I read with a serious subject line that made me think. 


3. All the Bright Places- Jennifer Niven 


I only read this a few weeks ago and am still thinking about the subject matter and the plot. I don't want to comment on the plot or subject matter because it can be triggering, but it stayed with me because it ripped my heart into pieces. I didn't really know what the story was about before I went into it and I'd recommend you look at the GoodReads info beforehand so you're emotionally prepared! 

4. Me Before You- Jojo Moyes 


I was really interested in reading this book because it dealt with a love story with someone being sick. For me this is something I think about often being chronically ill myself. I have yet to see the movie but am looking forward to seeing it when its released on DVD. This book stayed with me because I could relate to feeling like being sick wasn't conducive with being in love/having a relationship. 

5. More Happy Than Not- Adam Silvera 

I went into this book again not knowing much about the story line. This book stayed with me because I adored Adam Silvera's writing style. I also loved the plot twist and reading about a topic I hadn't read about before. 

6. Night- Elie Weisel 

I have had this book sitting on my shelves for such a long time. I purchased this book after seeing it recommend on Oprah years and years ago. I was very intimidated by this book considering the subject matter is the Holocaust. I believe I did start it but didn't continue it a few years ago but for some reason I didn't finish it. I ended up reading it last year. It's an incredibly short read but packs so much emotional heartache which is why it stayed with me. 

7.  Textbook Romance-Zoe Foster 

A friend of mine recommend reading this book about 5 years ago, I'm sure after hearing some boy drama of mine. Textbook Romance stayed with me because I found it really eye opening on how to date, how to work on yourself and how to navigate a relationship. I think its a must read for any women wanting to put herself out there. I might even give it a re-read as I haven't read it in awhile! 

8. The Magic Faraway Tree- Enid Blyton 

When I was little my Mum used to read this to me, then I'd read it to myself. I loved the idea of climbing up a tree and there being endless possibilities of lands to go and visit. The magic of a story like this is how it encourages imagination as a child. I will always remember this book as I believe it encouraged my love of reading and vivid imagination! 

9. Finding Audrey- Sophie Kinsella 

I read this book a few months ago after having read a lot of supernatural type of books. I hadn't been reading young adult because I had a preconceived notion that it was juvenile. This book made me realise Young Adult deals with a lot of heavy topics that can stay with you for a long time after you've put it down. 

10. Flowers in the Attic- VC Andrews 

The first time I read this I would have been about 15. My mum encouraged me to read this- I think because at the time I wasn't reading at home and she wanted me to pick up a book. I became rather addicted to reading anything by V.C Andrews because it was so juicy! 
After re-reading it a few years ago I can't believe my Mum encouraged me to read it!! It's pretty messed up. If you want to feel good about your current situation just read a V.C Andrews book. V.C Andrews characters go through hell. 


Please let me know in the comments what your 10 books that have stayed with you are!
Gentle hugs
Bridget 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik