Saturday 15 October 2016

Haters Back Off of the Fibromyalgia jokes.


This post may contain spoilers for Haters Back Off. 

Maybe I'm too sensitive, maybe I was looking to far into it, but  after watching the new Netflix series "Haters Back Off" last night I was really irritated. Don't get me wrong- I love Miranda and quite often watch Colleen's videos. I was incredibly excited to spend my Friday night watching her new series and exploring the world of Miranda Sings. But I couldn't shake the irritation I felt from Episode One throughout the entire series of misconstruing invisible illnesses- especially Fibromyalgia. 

One joke I can handle,  I can play it off to ignorance, but the "fake illness" theme runs throughout the entire series as the mother uses this illness (she called it her "undiagnosed Fibromyalgia") for sympathy as well as pity. Bethany uses a wrist brace as a visible way of showing people she is "sick". She used Fibro as an excuse at her job, asking customers to lift their heavy objects and scan/check out for themselves because her Fibromyalgia meant she couldn't do it/she couldn't be bothered doing it herself.  
There is also a relationship between Bethany and a man, who clearly has some sort of sick desire for a disabled partner. When Bethany begins to act as if she is well he loses interest in her. There is a scene in which he is seen sitting on the lap of a women in a wheelchair- his new love interest. 

During the final episodes Miranda's mum is "actually" diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)Now that she actually has a diagnosed illness the wrist brace comes off, she stops looking for pity and her behavior changes. You see Bethany taking medication when her alarm goes off, you see her trying to tell Emily (her other daughter) that she is sick (and Emily not believing her due to her past hypochondriac ways), and you see a blurry tv screen when her medication is due. Fibro patients deal with all of this too. They struggle telling people what is wrong with them- especially because of the stigma surrounding it and they take medication throughout the day (I have alarms for mine to remind me).

During the last episode Bethany tells Miranda what is wrong. She talks about how scared she is and how she feels she's drowning with the weight of what is happening to her. There was no mention of this when she was pretending to have Fibro, it was like a fun novelty for her to tell people she was "sick". When I was first diagnosed with Fibro I too felt like I was drowning. I had no idea what was wrong with me, why all of a sudden I was dealing with such severe pain throughout my body and why I was so exhausted from simple activities. It was incredibly scary having my body protest to the way I was living and within 2 years of my diagnosis I was unable to do the things I used to love, including working and studying. 


I get that Miranda's mother isn't sick when she claims she has Fibro, that she is pretending to be sick for pity. I understand she doesn't really have Fibro and it's just part of her being a hypochondriac. However the stigma that invisible illnesses aren't real is such a huge issue people such as myself face. This show has inadvertently solidified what a lot of ignorant people feel to be true, that we are just faking it. I also wonder- are there people out there pretending to have Fibromyalgia like Bethany, thinking this illness isn't real but wanting attention from having it? Is that why Haters Back Off used Fibro? 

It also brings up the point that people don't realize how debilitating life with Fibromyalgia can be. It's not just a sore arm that a wrist brace can make feel better. It's severe pain throughout the entire body, pain that doesn't go away, that exhausts your body, your mind and your spirit. It's extreme fatigue that a cup of coffee or a good night's sleep doesn't cure. It's fatigue so deep in your bones the thought of a simple task like washing up feels like climbing a mountain. It's severe brain fog that makes writing this blog post a challenge, one that before being sick I could've done within minutes, now taking hours. 

Whilst I don't believe the show meant to intentionally made fun of Fibromyalgia, it has shown the ignorance of society and how far we have to go to have people change what they believe about invisible illnesses. The show has once again reminded me that to some people, Fibromyalgia isn't recognized as a real illness. The tweets commenting on how funny the Fibro jokes in the show were confirmed that. 

I have worked SO hard, so freaking hard to make invisible illnesses visible. I've worked SO hard to show society that just because you cannot see how sick we are, doesn't mean that we are faking it or looking for pity. I have lost of many friends who didn't believe me and didn't support me. 

I wasn't the only person who was disappointed in the jokes. I've had a few people on Twitter contact me via the tweets I wrote about it sharing how it made them feel. They too were irritated with the way Fibromyalgia was portrayed and how it confirmed the stigma. 


Have you watched Haters Back Off? How did the Fibromyalgia jokes make you feel? I'd love to start a dialogue in the comments below.

Gentle hugs,
Bridget. 




17 comments:

  1. I only managed to watch the first episode before I had to stop because I was so upset by the fibro jokes. Sure, I understand that some people do fake invisible illnesses like this, but I find it incredibly insulting when a television series bases the majority of a character around something so harmful to people like ourselves. Not only does this create a stigma that we have tried so hard to break down, but it makes true sufferers feel even more insecure than they already do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I didn't realise until this that in America Fibro is often the brunt of jokes and seen as being a made up illness by a lot of people. Sending gentle hugs xo

      Delete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly. My family has enjoyed Miranda Sings for a while, but I just couldn't get past the flippant​ attitude displayed towards invisible illness in Haters Back Off. I can't shake the gross feeling it gave me and I can't enjoy the show anymore. I can't support people like that. I have a sense of humor and I do feel like laughter is healthy. But I can't laugh at this illness. Not when I live with fibromyalgia and carpel tunnel. It's not a life of comedy. It's a life of struggle.
    I applaud you for speaking out. While I know it's everyone's choice to enjoy their entertainment, I at least ask that people think twice before laughing if someone you love deals with chronic pain or invisible illness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched any Miranda videos since watching Haters Back Off. I just can't. I won't be watching season 2 either. Sending you gentle hugs xoxo

      Delete
  3. What a poor condition! This is why I feel the fibromyalgia treatment better rather than any other treatment program for significantly improving health condition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was the whole point, that she doesn't have fibro and she was making it all up...
    That is the entire joke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "DR WILLIAMS, I wish to praise you for sharing such a simple but comprehensive herbal medication to tackle this pain from the root. This is truly a valuable resource for all men and woman suffering from fibromyalgia. It's been almost 10 months since my doctor first diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. My doctor suggested that I will try watchful waiting but as the months went nothing has changed.

    As soon as I decided I'm going all the way and treat my fibromyalgia, I ordered Dr Williams and the results as you already know were shocking to say the least. The result I took clearly showed my fibromyalgia had completely vanished.

    I have even encouraged my "Doubting Thomas" friend to order it and read it too. To have so much good information in one tight package is an unbelievable value. I would encourage anyone who suffers from fibromyalgia and/or any joint stiffness issue to take advantage of Dr Williams herbal medicine! you can contact him through his email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for more information

    Sincerely...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR THE GREAT DEED HE HAVE DONE FOR MY DAUGHTER?
    My daughter suffered from fibromyalgia for more than 12 years which we started experiencing in her when she turned 8 year and 5 months we all thought it will end but got even worse as days went by. We tried all several treatments and therapy prescribed by various doctors we met but to no avail, she always complain of joint stiffness, and have difficulty falling asleep. She usually tells me she feeling tired. This were steady disorder that disrupted her entire life, even at night she slept less because of this.It was during a casual conversation with a friend that i learned about Dr Williams herbal medicine I was able to contact him on his email address. and give him all the necessary information that he needed,few day later he sent me the herbal portion and his medicine was able to restore her back to normal and she is very okay now without any side effects whatsoever. If you have fibromyalgia, do not hesitate to contact him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product. I hope this also helps someone out there

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr Williams,his medicine was extremely helpful to my daughter. I have had a daughter with fibromyalgia for 21 years now , and my doctor have prescribe me with different kinds of western drugs without no improvement in my daughter symptoms . I am so glad I have found Dr Williams medicine (as I was surfing the net for a solution and saw a recommendation for it on a women's health forum early this year). I have felt so empowered by the knowledge you have given me and I quickly self diagnosed the individual cause of my daughter fibromyalgia and armed with his clear instructions, I was finally able to beat this monster, in less than 4 weeks of using dr Williams medication on my daughter. she went for a checkup and it was clear that my daughter fibromyalgia were gone,you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help.

    Thank you, thank you , thank you. Dr Williams "

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to say a huge thank you to Dr Williams for everything he have done in my life. I have been in tears for so many years now, having found that my husband is suffering from fibromyalgia, lesion after some years of being under extreme stress., . I spent 24 hours freaking out and finally calmed down after reading some testimony on here about Dr Williams herbal medicine to fibromyalgia . The moment came and I mumbled out to my husband about Dr Williams product (with a few tears) and he was AMAZE – . He was just worried about his health, been free from this disorder, that was how will order for Dr Williams product on line , after my husband finish taking Dr Williams medicine for just within a period of one month. Will went to the doc together who confirmed that he was fibromyalgia free.
    Thank you again for being upfront, truthful and taking this pain away from my family for more information about his product you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com i hope you can also help other terrified people in a similar situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MY NAME IS BILLIE LORA FROM USA.
    With Dr Williams herb i was completely free from fibromyagia.You are an amazing doctor.Matching diagnosises aside, I just want to be your friend. Lol You inspire me on a feminist level. On an intelligence level. you are a good man doing so much for mankind, level.Thank you for being you.For keeping a lot of us . For reminding us that we aren’t a fucking statistic or a status, we are still PEOPLE. With brains and personalities and jobs and lives. I’ve been diagnosed for so many years now with fibromyalgia, and the roller coaster of emotions is all too real.I’m sure I speak for everyone here when I say thank you. From the deepest part of my soul. THANK YOU.You give us all an indescribable level of comfort and absurdness in sharing our diagnoses and, almost a green light to continue to celebrate our lives,for you always been there.For every jerk who throws you hate, there are hundreds of us thanking the universe for you.for more information about Dr Williams product to fibromyalgia you can email him on drwillliams098675@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to Dr Williams I am so happy today, I have been suffering from Fibromyalgia for the past 8 years now, and i have spent a lot on western drugs which has all proved abortive, i have tried all means in life to become Fibromyalgia free , but there was no answer until i decided to try herbal solution and i found Dr Williams online and i contacted him and after I took his medication as instructed, i am now completely free from Fibromyalgia within those week of usage, i am so much happy, thanks to Dr Williams for helping me get my life back again without any form of crisis, i promise to tell your name and good deeds to the whole world,if you have Fibromyalgia you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for more information .

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a sign of gratitude for how my son was saved from fibromyalgia , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My son suffered fibromyalgia in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always complain of joint stiffness, and he always have difficulty falling asleep . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to fibromyalgia . I never imagined fibromyalgia has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. fibromyalgia has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my story

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently have some difficult conversations and I did what a lot of people do when they want to know how to do something. I googled it. I came across Dr Williams herbal medicine on YouTube so many people thanking him about his good work. I also have fibromyalgia. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my fibromyalgia status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Williams for everything he have done for my family ,after taking Dr Williams medicine i was completely free from fibromyalgia within one month of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS I HAVE NEVER BELIEVE IN HERBAL REMEDIES.
    my son have been a patient of fibromyalgia . I had tried a lot of anti viral med prescribed to me by doctors over how many years now but I could not see any improvements in my son symptoms. One day while going through the internet , i got to know about this great Herbal Dr who uses his herbal remedies in curing people from fibromyalgia ,quickly i contacted him and he prepared a herbal medication for my son which i received and he used it as instructed by Dr Williams. After few weeks the improvement were very visible. the chronic muscle pain and the tightness of the joint stopped, I would really recommend this to all my friends,families,around the globe suffering from fibromyalgia. you can contact him through his email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com.for advice and for his product ,his a good man and am very happy to give this testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dr Williams,his medicine was extremely helpful to my daughter. I have had a daughter with fibromyalgia for 21 years now , and my doctor have prescribe me with different kinds of western drugs without no improvement in my daughter symptoms . I am so glad I have found Dr Williams medicine (as I was surfing the net for a solution and saw a recommendation for it on a women's health forum early this year). I have felt so empowered by the knowledge you have given me and I quickly self diagnosed the individual cause of my daughter fibromyalgia and armed with his clear instructions, I was finally able to beat this monster, in less than 4 weeks of using dr Williams medication on my daughter. she went for a checkup and it was clear that my daughter fibromyalgia were gone,you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help.

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik