Friday 8 January 2016

Best books I read in 2015

In 2015 I managed to read 109 books! I would say this largely is because I'm housebound and often found I didn't know what to do with myself. I can say that I loved 90% of what I read in 2015. I'm going to discuss my highlights in reading in 2015, then list a snapshot of my favourite books of 2015. If you don't feel like reading scroll to the bottom of my quick list!

My one big flop was "Splintered" by A.G. Howard. I read this with my Facebook group (We Heart Books) and we found that people either loved it or hated it.

In January I read "Devil's Knot" and "Dark Spell" both by Mara Leveritt. These books are about the West Memphis 3 case in which three ten-year old boys were murdered and Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jesse Misskelley Jr were accused of the crime. This case has always fascinated me so I loved reading more information about the lead up events and the trial.

I managed to re-read and catch up on the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. I began reading these about five years ago when a Pre-School mum recommended them and let me borrow her copies. I have all twenty-two of them and love to read them. They are great to read if you're in a reading slump, want something quick to read and want a little giggle. In another life Stephanie and I are friends, I'm sure of it.

In August I began to re-read the Harry Potter series. I hadn't read it since I was a kid so it was VERY magical to pick these books up again. The first Harry Potter came out when I was 10. I remember my Librarian (yes I was that kid at school that was the librarian's friend) telling me I needed to read it and that it was going to be a very popular series. She wasn't wrong! I was hooked from the first chapter. So it's a very nostalgic series for me and I pride myself on being a fan from the first release! I'm currently up to Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I don't want it to end....

I discovered Sarah J Maas this year and I can confidently say she is one of my favourite authors. I love her style of writing and her incredible world building. I LOVE Celaena and her kickass, smarts personality. I am now all caught up and DYING for book five! Queen of Shadow's is my favourite of the series so far.

My friend sent me A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness as a gift. She said it is her favourite trilogy. The books are massive and I was intimidated to start them but I am so glad I did. I am so glad she kindly sent book one to me. I purchased the rest and have read them all. I highly recommend them if you love witches with a side of history!

I also re-read and continued the Shadowhunters series. It may be an unpopular opinion but I cannot stand either Clary nor Jace. I struggled to read these and had to push myself to read them because I wanted to finish the series and also read The Clockwork Angel series. I much preferred that!

I began reading biographies this year. I used to always tease my mum about reading harrowing stories of abuse, wondering why you would subject yourself to it. But I found myself hooked. I found strength from these stories.

In a nutshell my top books were:

  • A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas
  • Down the Rabbit Hole by Holly Madison
  • Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas 
  • Hollywood Witch Hunter by Valeria Tejeda
  • A Stolen Life by Jacee Duggard
  • Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison 
  • More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera
  • Dumplin' by Julie Murphy
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 

So here's to 2016 and a wonderful reading year! I will discuss my reading goals for the year and books I'm excited to read in another post. 


Want to join We Heart Books?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WeHeartBooks/

Until next time,
Gentle hugs
Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik