Friday 24 July 2015

How to be Sick- Book Review


How To Be Sick- A Buddhist- Inspired guide for the chronically ill and their caregivers. By Toni Bernhard

5/5 stars

I wish a little skeptical before I began this- I was thinking Toni would basically just tell me to be positive and I'll get better. 
Not at all.
Toni is housebound and looks at being chronically ill in a completely practical light. She admits how much being sick SUCKS. She doesn't take away from how hard it is but just gives practical techniques and ways for us to deal with the loss and grief of being sick. Chapters within this guide discuss topics such as Accepting Pain, What to do when (it seems) you can't do anything and From Isolation to Solitude.
In regards to the "Buddhist inspired" portion of the book- this isn't about religion but instead teachings of how to deal with being sick from a place of love. Regardless of your religious beliefs this book is a must read that I personally will be keeping next to my bed to re-read and study in depth.


This is definitely a must read for the chronically ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik